Sunday, December 2, 2018

Week 47: "My Name is Your Name?"

Sometimes Elder Miller and I confuse words in the bahasa Indonesian language and say to people the silliest sentences or answer others questions with ridiculous responses….. We recognize this because there is a common look of desperation on each of our faces to try to understand each other. It happens so often.

Today this large group of sweet children were shouting from their balcony over and over again “My name is your name?” “My name is your name?” We smiled to ourselves, waved, and knew exactly what they meant , they were calling out to us “What is your name?” “What is your name?” We grinned and answered “Elder and Sister Miller”! They all smiled, giggled, and waved back so happy to have their question answered and now introduced to each other. We felt confident and resolved to ourselves, it’s OK to mix up our words we speak to others and decided a long time ago to “Carry On” trying to do our best to communicate to our friends in bahasa Indonesia even though our language skills are far from perfect but everyone seems to figure out each other!


Another fun memory to share is we are now often recognized and remembered by many children where we walk because since our arrival for the last year I weekly fill one of my purse pockets with candy.  I am always careful to make sure we buy candy pieces that are individually wrapped, and a piece that a child could not easily choke on.  Most often there is a parent that I first ask permission to give their child a piece of candy.  It is such a delight to see the smiles from receipt of a little piece of candy!
Sister Miller’s purse with the zipper pocket filled with candy!!


2 comments:

  1. I always say that music is the universal language, but I think candy must be right up there with music. Especially with children! We have a sweet Grandpa that gives us a Werther's caramel every Sunday when he shakes our hand. I'm like a kid- love it! :) Keep up the great service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got an excessive amount of appealing stuff upon your blog. I bet i am not the unaided one having every the enjoyment right here! preserve going on the affable impinge on. velcro name patches

    ReplyDelete